When I was a kid, our family used to go to Panama City beach every year for spring break. No joke. From second grade until my junior year in high school (I ditched the fam for my senior trip to Ft. Myers), 6 of us would jump in a station wagon, (picture the family truckster from ‘Vacation’ or the Brady Bunch. In the 80s, we stepped it up to one of those Chevy vans with the bucket seats and bed in the back) and drive 13 hours to get there.
We’d leave Speedway, IN, and sometimes go straight through, or we would stop someplace in Tennessee. One of the my favorite memories of those drives is the snacks we packed for the trip. We’d load up the Igloo Playmate cooler with cans of RC and 7up, then fill shopping bags full of Bugles and Nabisco Easy Cheese. We would load those Bugles up with cheese and stuff our faces. My mom always had Freshen-Up gum for the ride.
Anyway, on to this week’s Friday Five:
1. How are you doing on a scale of 1-10? (1 = can’t find a wall hard enough to hit with your head; 10 = rocking and rolling) 10. Another fantastic week. Another week of writing every day. I find that the more I write, the more things I want to write about. Make sense? This can be very time-consuming, too. I do work a full-time job and have a family, so my writing time is limited. Much of it is done on the train commute to and from work, but I have found it to creep into my evening time. While I enjoy this writing, I work all day in HR and I’m not sure I want to have that consuming my thoughts all night!
2. What are the couple of big things you’ll be tackling next week? SPRING BREAK! Gonna be here, there, and everywhere. Stay tuned!
3. Any good ‘wins’ from last week you feel proud of – no matter how big or small? I had some really good coaching conversations and had some really healthy debates around leadership and responsibility. Strong trusting relationships allow for these discussions and we learned a lot and grew some more without any resentment toward each other. Lencioni is onto something!
4. Do you need any support / help from me with anything I expect to tackle next week? Good book recommendations? Fiction preferred, please!
5. How’s your bandwidth? (1 being I don’t have time to eat and 10 being I have nothing to do)? 10. See number 2. This will change when I’m back from “vacation.”
What are some things you are working on and how can I help you? I’m serious. You all have been so supportive. What can I do for you?